Graeme Obree rides out in Edinburgh with Tesco Bank staff
3 May 2016
Today (Tuesday 3rd May 2016) British cycling legend Graeme Obree appeared at Tesco Bank’s Edinburgh headquarters where staff were given an exclusive opportunity to take part in a ride out with Graeme ahead of his debut at this year’s Tesco Bank Tour O The Borders.
Graeme, or the Flying Scotsman as he is nicknamed, was unveiled as the first Tesco Bank Tour O The Borders ambassador earlier in the year and joined the group of riders for an hour-long ride around Edinburgh. He was on hand with training advice and tips to prepare physically and mentally for cycling events.
Graeme Obree, the Tesco Bank Tour O the Borders Ambassador said;
“I really enjoy taking part in event’s like this one here today; the Tesco Bank staff were hugely passionate about their cycling. Cycling can play a key part in leading a healthy and active lifestyle, so I hope in promoting events like this one we have inspired others to get involved.
"It’s a privilege to be this year’s event ambassador for the Tesco Bank Tour O the Borders. It’s always a treat for cyclists to have the roads to themselves especially when the route goes through some of Scotland’s most beautiful countryside.”
The sportive is expected to attract up to 2,500 riders who can select either the 88km or 120km close road routes. Starting and finishing in Peebles both routes wind through the rolling hills of the Scottish Borders passing some of the most incredible and unspoilt landscape in the whole of the UK.
Adele Mills, Senior Community Investment Manager, Tesco Bank said;
“Today’s ride out with Graeme fits in perfectly with our commitment to encourage our employees to be healthy and active. We are delighted that Graeme gave up his time so that our enthusiastic cycling colleagues could have such a unique and exciting opportunity.”
For event entry and further information, head to www.tourotheborders.com.
For more information and media enquiries please contact:
Tesco Bank press office
+44 (0) 131 274 3630
Notes to Editors
About the Tesco Bank Tour O the Borders:
- The Tesco Bank Tour O the Borders will take place on Sunday 7 August 2016 starting and finishing in Peebles in the Scottish Borders.
- Tour O the Borders began in 2012 when just 300 riders took part, but has quickly grown into one of the biggest road cycling events on the Scottish calendar.
- The 2015 Tesco Bank Tour O the Borders event generated £500,000 for Peebles and the surrounding areas.
- In its fifth year the closed road sportive offers registered riders an 88km or a 120km route.
- The event is organised by Scottish Borders based event management firm, Hillside Outside Ltd.
- The event is also supported by global cycling brands Shimano, Endura, Cannondale, The Edinburgh Bike Coop, Scottish Cycling and Scottish Borders Council. Tesco Bank Tour O the Borders backs the Tesco National Charity Partnership with British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK.
To register visit tourotheborders.com
About Graeme Obree:
- Graeme Obree has twice broken the world hour record, in July 1993 and April 1994, and was the 4000m individual pursuit world champion in 1993 and 1995.
- Graeme is known for his unusual riding positions and for the Old Faithful bicycle he built which included parts from a washing machine.
- His new film “Battle Mountain, Graeme Obree’s Story” is in selected cinemas now.
Tesco Bank’s goal is to make banking and insurance easier and better value for people who shop at Tesco. We’ve been around since 1997 and today we help more than 5 million customers manage their money every day. Our 4,000 colleagues serve our customers seven days a week from our three main centres in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle, and we are also available through online and mobile banking 24/7. Tesco Bank participates in the Chartered Banker Professional Standards Board.
Tesco Bank is a trading name of Tesco Personal Finance plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC173199. Registered Office: 2 South Gyle Crescent, Edinburgh, EH12 9FQ